What causes nausea and vomiting during pregnancy to get worse?
The degree of severity of morning sickness during pregnancy varies from one woman to another. Many factors may cause or worsen nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
The following factors are associated with acute cases of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy:
- Multiple embryos’ pregnancy (twins, triplets).
- .A large placenta
- A Molar Pregnancy (rare, abnormal, non-viable pregnancy).
- Thyroid gland disorder – abnormally increased or decreased activity of the gland (Hyperthyroidism or Hypothyroidism).
- Digestive disorders such as heartburn, reflux, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Gastritis, Ulcer.
- Mental conditions such as stress, depression etc.
- Viral or bacterial infection, such as coughing, a cold, influenza, Urinary tract infection, Sinus infection, ear infection etc.
- Active migraines or headaches.
- Infection caused by the Helicobacter Pylori bacteria.
- Diabetes or Gestational diabetes.
- High blood pressure.
- Untreated medical conditions.
Women who have gone through several pregnancies tend to suffer more. Women who experienced severe nausea, with or without vomiting, or Hyperemesis Gravidarum in previous pregnancies, are at a 75%-80% risk to suffer from an acute condition of morning sickness in future pregnancies. Therefore, previous experience does not make it easier to cope with nausea, vomiting and / or dry heaving.
Morning sickness can get worse in the presence of various flavors and scents. Due to hormonal changes in the body, some of the women develop a bitter, sour or metallic taste in their mouth during pregnancy. The strange taste in their mouth may prevent them from drinking, which in turn may cause dehydration. Drinking cold water or any other cold beverage as well as chewing gum or hard candy can help.
In addition, during pregnancy women develop an oversensitivity to scents and smells. During this period women become more aware to the scents and smells in their environment, and they sense them more powerfully. During the pregnancy period, certain smells can cause nausea, a sense of vomiting and / or actual vomiting. To avoid that, it is preferable to avoid being in closed rooms, to air the space as much as possible and to eat cold food or food at room temperature instead of hot meals.